Friday, January 19, 2018

What is God saying?


Devotion by Dianne J. Wilson @diannejwilson


Do you ever wish God would put some skin on and come sit in your lounge and explain exactly what He wants from you? I sure do. 

As a kid, I loved doing dot-to-dot puzzles. There was something deeply satisfying in watching something emerge from the seemingly random numbers.

I've come to realize that figuring out God's will is much like doing a dot-to-dot. But instead of pen and paper, you have events and promises. 

The numbers alone don't make much sense. When you start a new puzzle, all you see are numbers dotted on a page. None of them mean anything by themselves. But when you start connecting them, the bigger picture will emerge. When it comes to life, sometimes single events will leave you perplexed. Until you are able to step back and see those events in the bigger context of the rest of your life, you may find yourself sliding towards fear and unbelief.

So how do you do a real-life-what-is-God-up-to-dot-to-dot?

1. Pay attention

Take note of anything that happens that's out of the ordinary, Bible verses that stand out, conversations... Some things will be significant, some of them won't. But you won't know unless you keep track of them all. Before I landed my first official publishing contract with Pelican / Harbourlight, I was throwing all my energy into catching the attention of an agent. Three things happened that highlighted the phrase 'Harbourlight'. One in particular made me realize there was more to it all. A song on the radio caught my ear and when I investigated, it was by a local band called 'Harbourlight'. In my Googling, I fell over this publisher that stood for all the things that are in my heart when it comes to fiction. The best part? They are one of the few that are happy to accept un-agented submissions. I'm currently working on my fourth book for them.

2. Write them down


I find it useful to keep a journal and make notes of scriptures that pop, events, conversations, anything that seems vaguely significant. Every so often I read through and as I do so, similar themes often emerge. Patterns. As I home in those, I get a sneak-peak into what God is busy doing with me.

3. Be patient


Eugene Petersen wrote a book called A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. That sums it up nicely. The picture is seldom clear by dot number three. When it comes to complex puzzles, dot thirty is still a spaghetti mess. But as you continue to pay attention, listen, keep a soft heart, and do what He tells you to, His plan will emerge, perfect in design and timing. 
 
This puzzle of life is not sent to frustrate and exhaust you. It is a beautiful opportunity to choose to trust the One who holds the pencil of your future. He is good and His plans for you are good!

Dianne J. Wilson writes novels from her hometown in East London, South Africa, where she lives with her husband and three daughters. She is writing a three book YA series, Spirit Walker, for Pelican / Harbourlight. Affinity (book 1), releases on the 8th of June 2018

Finding Mia is available from AmazonPelican / Harbourlight, Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.

Shackles is available as a free ebook from Amazon & Smashwords.

Find her on FacebookTwitter and her sporadic blog Doodles.

4 comments:

  1. It is always amazing how God works in our lives. Not always in the ways we expect, but then something comes up and you find he has been working all along. Thanks for sharing I love the joining the dots. It's later when you reflect back you see where he has been working.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Lorraine. I love being able to look at these odd, unrelated things and suddenly see what God is up to. It's almost as if He hides treasures and delights in us finding them. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. One of the points in this week's sermon at church was the importance of staying obedient and committed to God's calling.

    Sure, but saying that seems to miss the first part of the question - how do we know God's calling. This devotion helps point it out. We don't need to know the big picture. We just need to work on getting from the current dot to the next.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iola, I missed your comment until now! I'm so sorry. It does make obedience seem simpler - one step at a time. I love how God takes our human-ness into consideration ❤

      Delete